6.5.13

The Great Gatsby

 

You know how an event, theme, icon, or reference pops up in your life and won't go away? It's like everywhere you go and everyone you talk to brings it up almost randomly. For me right now it's the Great Gatsby.



I just got out of a very "new money opulence" dilemma, so I think that's why the book is resonating so much. My favorite part of the book is that it makes very clear that new money and old money societies aren't really defined by the source and amount of wealth. They originate more from a state of mind. I have found out the hard way I absolutely can't stand the shallowness of new money.

“And I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald  

 

Leave it to the twenties to make required reading for school actually interesting. I haven't seen the new movie yet but I can't wait until it comes out.

The Great Gatsby metallic book cover

On a side note, the scalloping on this cover, Amazing!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Be sure to subscribe if you found this post interesting.